Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen
2010 Wharton Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
The Allegheny County Health Department’s Food Safety Program conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on 5/13/2020 following a complaint from the public. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Pennsylvania’s food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 15 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- Rice and green beans are cooling while covered in the walk-in cooler. (Rice 58-60F, green beans 106F). * see note below
- No evidence of handwashing observed during inspection.
- Paper towel dispenser at hand sink by drive thru window is empty. Corrected during inspection; another employee arrived that had the key for the dispenser. Keep the key on premises so paper towels can be changed when necessary.
- Rear hand sink found dirty and dry. Clean this sink.
- Items in the drive-thru area hot holding unit are 126-132F. Unit was found turned off, and was turned back on during inspection.
- Multiple bags of raw chicken are sitting out on the 1 bowl sink at 57F. These were moved during inspection.
- Employee at the drive thru area is eating in that area, and is not changing gloves or washing hands.
- Hotel pans are stored with old food residue on them.
- Observed manager rinsing spoon and returning it to service without sanitizing. This is evidence that proper wash, rinse, sanitize procedures are not done.
- Frequently touched surfaces are not being routinely cleaned. There is caked on residue on the walk-in cooler doors, equipment handles and along the hot holding units that are refilled to service orders.
- Biscuit trays are encrusted with old residue.
- Black residue is present on the nozzle of the self-service soda machine. This machine needs professionally serviced to be properly cleaned. Call for service.
- 3 bowl sink is partially blocked by stacked equipment/pans/utensils. Maintain sink to be accessible for use.
- There is an excess buildup of residue and old food debris on the surfaces over the fryers.
- Facility has a tank for used oil, and a piped connection to outside for draining when it is emptied. Residue left behind from this process (drips, spills, pieces of food residue) are washed into the nearby storm drain basin. This has been a chronic issue. Evidence of food and grease is present around the rim of the basin grate.
- There is a leak from the drain of the sanitizer compartment of the 3 bowl sink.
- Evidence of another small leak near the food sink, unable to pinpoint. Investigate and make necessary repairs.
- Hand sink by the drive thru window drains slowly. Repair this drain.
- When asked about hot holding equipment, employee did not know the proper hot holding temperature for foods. Employee is not food safety certified.
- Sleeves of cups are stored on the grease tank. Move to proper storage area, shelving, etc.
- Shop vac stored on top of MSG, which is sitting on the soda bag-in-box rack.
- No soap was available in either restroom. Supplied during inspection.
- One of the toilets in the women’s restroom is out of order, covered with a trash bag. Evidence that this has been inoperable for some time. Repair immediately
- Restroom doors are dirty. Clean and maintain.
- Men’s restroom does not have any latch/lock. There are no privacy stalls in this restroom. Repair door.
- Trash is overflowing from the dumpsters and is along the ground in the alley behind the facility.
- Old food debris is caked on the floor underneath the fryer area. Floors do not appear to be mopped routinely, there is old flour, slime and debris present on the floors throughout the entire facility.
- There are water stained ceiling tiles in the dining area. Replace to be able to monitor for possible leaks.
- This facility has failed to implement COVID-19 guidelines. Facility was briefed on guidelines in person before.
-Frequently touched surfaces are not cleaned
-Handwashing is not being emphasized
Complaint sends inspectors to La Nova Pizzeria in Springdale; 7 violations, employee was not wearing face protection, no soap at the hand sinks
Complaint sends inspectors to La Nova Pizzeria in Springdale; 7 violations, employee was not wearing face protection