5550 CHESTER AVE
Philadelphia, PA 19143
Philadelphia’s Office of Food Protection conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on 4/20/2020. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations Jake’s Place was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Pennsylvania’s food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 13 violations were found.
The inspector ordered the restaurant closed adding the following remarks in the report:
Due to imminent health hazards observed during this inspection, the establishment has been issued a Cease Operations Order and must discontinue food operations immediately. The establishment cannot operate for a minimum of 48 hours. The establishment cannot operate until the required fee is paid and the establishment is approved by the Department to resume operations. Please contact the Sanitarian at the phone number listed below for a re-inspection once the violations have been corrected and the fee has been paid
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- Mice feces observed on several food contact surfaces. Note: Surfaces are to be properly sanitized. New Violation.
- Slicer has an accumulation of food residue on the food contact surfaces and is not being washed, rinsed and sanitized at least every 4 hours. New Violation.
- Mice feces observed on/in the following areas:
– On grease trap in the ware washing area
– On floor under ware washing sink drain board
– Two feces observed in box of plastic wrap
– Floor at door near common area
– On shelf where chemicals are stored in the food preparation area
– On plastic to go bags
– Shelf under hand washing sink in the food preparation area
– Shelf where tea is stored in the food preparation area.
– On counter where phone and computer are stored.
– On shelf where cordless phone is stored.
– Single mouse dropping observed on top of Bain Marie
– On not-in-use waffle maker
Note: All surfaces and areas shall be properly cleaned and sanitized. New Violation.
- Common bowls or food containers observed without handles in direct contact with bulk food ingredients. New
- Domestic microwave observed in the food preparation area is not NSF/ANSI approved. New Violation.
- Cardboard observed lining shelves inside the walk-on cooler. New Violation.
- Floors observed in need of cleaning inside the walk-in cooler. New Violation.
- The following objects observed in need of cleaning:
– Shelves inside the walk-in cooler
– Table cart where slicer is stored
– Toaster and waffle maker
– Shelving unit where toaster and waffle maker is stored.
– Coffee counter
– Inside the Bain Marie where jelly is stored.
– Ice machine prior to usage New Violation.
- Toilet room door is not self-closing. New Violation.
- Mice feces observed on floors in the ware washing area. Debris observed on floors behind the cook station. Repeat Violation.
- Damaged ceiling tiles observed throughout the establishment. Holes observed in ceiling in the ware washing area. Acoustic ceiling tiles observed in the food preparation area is not approved. New Violation.
- Burnt out lights observed in the dining area. Repeat Violation.
Philly inspectors CLOSE Family Spot Jamaican Restaurant; Cease Operations Order, 29 violations, Mouse feces on in the food prep area-rolls of aluminum foil, box of gloves, prep table shelf, steam table shelf
Philly inspectors CLOSE Family Spot Jamaican Restaurant; Cease Operations Order, 29 violations, declared imminent health hazard
Paesano’s in Philly fumbles follow-up inspection, acclaimed chef’s restaurant hit with 17 violations, up from 15 on April 1
Paesano’s in Philly fumbles RE-INSPECTION, acclaimed chef’s restaurant hit with 17 violations, up from 15 on April 1