Shop ‘N Save
Ground Hog Shopping Center
201 N HAMPTON AVENUE
Punxsutawney, PA 15767
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on 7/16/2020. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations Shop ‘N Save was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Pennsylvania’s food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 9 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- Observed some frozen condensate on food packaging in the facility bakery walk in freezer.
- Several wooden shelves that contain food items in the back stock area are not of a material that is non-pours, smooth and easily cleanable.
- Sections of the retail sales coolers have lights that are not shielded or shatterproof.
- The three compartment sinks in the bakery and deli area have hose attachments that are hanging below the flood rim of the sink and not an appropriate air gap.
- Observed three (3) bottles of Similac Advance 32 oz baby formula on the retail sales shelf with a sell by date of 1JUL2020. Product removed.
- Facility has two knife blocks in the deli area that the knife slits are not accessible for cleaning.
- Plastic shield for the meat tenderizer machine is cracked/broken and held together with tape.
- Accumulation of dust on some of the retail sales shelving.
- Observed an accumulation of dust behind the deep fryers in the deli area.
- Facility has deli made subs, sandwiches, and pasta salad that is being held longer than 24 hours in the facility self serve cold hold cooler, that are missing the sub ingredients for multi ingredient food items. This is a repeat violation from a 2019 inspection.
- One (1) bottle of sanitizer in the meat department was not labeled with the common name of the chemical.